Saturday, May 21, 2011

Lessons in Faith from a Five Year Old

Her little hand clutched in mine we lay on her bed. The house was still and quiet. As evening set in around us, she began to pray.

{we'll get to the prayer in a minute}

Perhaps one of the things that amazes me most about being a mother is how much God uses it to teach me. Motherhood has become my training ground for patience, kindness, truth, love, every imaginable skill (and some I never imagined I would need or learn) and faith. I come face to face with Jesus and the truths of God on a regular basis -- out of the mouths and hearts of our children.

A few  months ago we became aware of Isabel's love and passion for orphans (or as she calls them children who don't have any parents -- she does not like the term orphan. But that is conversation for another day.) In an attempt to nurture this godly spark our family set off on a new project -- read Whose Child Is She? and ...a Little Child Will Lead Them to learn more about what we're doing and how.

Last week God brought a new friendship into our lives that has the potential to change the shape, if not the course, of our very lives. And while it remains to be seen how this will all play out, I can tell you that next week our new (already dear) friends will be coming to dinner -- to tell us of Africa, orphans, the missionary life they are called to. And even more than that, they are coming to hear Isabel's heart, see her passion and her dresses and help fan the godly flame growing in her wee little heart. I don't know what God is going to use this for, but I can tell you whatever it is it is already changing us. Her. Me.

Back to her prayer. As I read Isabel James 1:27 {Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.} and talked to her about what she wants to do for the orphans I saw a different look in her eyes. One of sadness. An ache almost.

In her sadness she told me about how it makes her sad that they don't have parents. That they are missing the love they could have like our family. And before I could say a word, she smiled and said "they need Jesus. He's our family from God. We can help with that." Humbled. Tears pouring down my face I sat there on her bed and nodded. What more was there to say.

"My turn to pray," she chirped and grabbed my hand. "Dear God, thank you for my mom and dad. Thank you for our new friends that are coming to dinner next week. Thank you for helping us to do things that we don't even know are in the Bible. Thank you for Jesus. Help us give Jesus to the orphans. Amen."

Through tears I saw her little blonde hair fall over her tear soaked dimples. Where does that passion come from? With a deep sigh she turned her big blue eyes back to me. "I love you mommy." "I love you too baby girl." And there we laid hand in hand on the bed with Jesus. Trying to understand the truth of His love, of our place in this world, and the realities of children who don't have parents. It was one of the sweetest, heaviest, holiest moments I have ever been a part of.

These moments of motherhood are humbling and amazing in one breath. God is using Isabel to teach me and remind me that He is all we need. And He is what we are to give others -- in whatever form that comes...love, dresses, hugs, help, prayer, truth, light, joy, etc.

Will you join us in prayer? Pray for the children who don't have any parents. Pray for our family as we begin this new adventurous chapter. Pray for Isabel that she will be lifted up and encouraged to follow her heart. Pray for a mama who feels terribly under qualified and in awe of the baby girl she is raising. Pray that we find ways to give Jesus to the orphans...to our neighbors...to the world.

No comments: