Friday, January 28, 2011

Blessed is the Woman who Believes

A sweet song of worship rings in the air as my alarm goes off. The house is still and in the whisper of time before the day begins it is easy to remember God's promises, to believe that every step of my day is covered in His plans, and to live like I believe.

But...
...there's juice spilled on the carpet.
...there is a mountain of laundry and only half a cup of detergent.
...there are screaming children in the playroom.
...there's eye rolling, back talking and timeouts.
...traffic.
...long lines with unhappy people at the checkout.
...even longer waits at the doctor's office.
...there's wondering if we'll make ends meet at the end of the month.
...there's family conflict.
...sickness.
....death, loss, grief.
...there's the heart ache of the past.
...the uncertainty of the future.

Somewhere in the hail storms of life my belief becomes dented and beat up. And I find that I am not living like a woman who believes God loves me and He is working all things for my good.

Yesterday, my Facebook status said, "How would your life change if you woke up every morning BELIEVING that God works all things for your good and that He loves you?" My sweet friends over at Proverbs 31 posted it as their status too. Reading the responses was fascinating to me.

There was a large segment of people that answered "my life is different because I already believe that." Interesting. I hadn't thought of it in that light...the faith of salvation changes lives immediately. But how do you exercise that faith daily? What do you do to not lose sight of God's love and plans for you in the midst of life's moments?

There were a few "I needed to hear" that kind of responses, and to God be the glory on that one. If my fb status is being used by God to whisper to the hearts of His children.... Don't even have words for the end of the statement...just WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I had asked the questions hoping for concrete answers...my life would be ____ . And I got some of those -- joy was probably the top thing people said they would have. JOY!!

In the final days of 2010 I was struck by a Bible verse in a way that I can't even begin to fully explain. I am drawn to it in a new way. It has become the basis for our women's ministry theme this year. It is the reason I started blogging again. It is the fresh wind in my sails as I look into 2011.

Midway through the first chapter of Luke is the story of Mary coming to visit Elizabeth. In her sweet proclamation of faith and excitement over Mary's visit, her greeting and the news of her pregnancy Elizabeth says, "Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!"

Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!

Let that wash over you for a moment.

That is where my fb status question came from. That is what I'm driven to find out...to teach...to embrace...to live. I want to be that woman. I want that written on the last page of my life here on earth - "Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!" Because that, my friends, is what real life here is all about.

If I believe - I'm saved.
If I believe - I'm the daughter of the King.
If I believe - my heart is changed.
If my heart is changed I live a life that the King designed for me.
If I am living the life the King made me to live then I am living in victory, in joy, in love.
And out of those places spring the works of my faith - service, missions, worship, prayer, teaching, giving, parenting, loving.
And if my days are filled with the works of my faith, then my life will be a reflection of my God.
And if I am reflection of my God, others will be begin to believe...

So my question, rephrased this time, What would your life look like if you lived every day BELIEVING that God works all things for your good and that He loves you no matter what the circumstance?

Not the I know somewhere in the back of my head God loves my kinda life. The life that says in the face of every circumstance, "My daddy's The King and oh how He loves me." A life that says to every traffic jam, rude cashier, hard-to-love family member and frustrating moment, "God is strengthening me in this moment, and for this I will rejoice." A life that shines in the darkest moments of humanity and says, "This is tough. And I'm hurt and scared, but God is strong and steady and His light will shine in this darkness."

Blessed is the woman who believes....
Blessed is the woman who is living like she is believing....

1 comment:

tonymyles said...

Great stuff... very practical and biblical perspective.