Monday, February 14, 2011

Fridge Magnet Truth & Tissue Paper Love


The little magnet on the back barely holds it onto the fridge. The sheer weight of its truth almost makes it too heavy to be useful. But even before it touched the fridge something about the craft struck a chord so deep in me that I almost couldn't breathe.



I can hear some of you now. Um, yeah, Wendy its a foam heart with a cross on it. And???

Stick with me here.

Just hours before Jesus died He was sharing a meal with those closest to Him, the disciples. It is at that meal that Jesus gives the disciples a new commandment. "Love one another." There's the long and the short of it. So simple and yet, so darn hard. Love one another. Not like. Not put up with. Love.

But, I digress.

Jesus says that is how the world will know that we are His. Our love for one another. Not by the Scripture you can recite. Not by the number of times you go to church. Not a pew with your name on it. Not how well behaved your children are. Your love for others.

What is stamped on your heart? As I held Isabel's Sunday school craft project in my hands I heard the echoes of Jesus...by this they will know you...by this they will know me.

With that truth ringing in my ears I continued my quest for the perfect Valentine's card for my sweet hubby. He always seems to find just the right card -- love, devotion, God and romance all sealed tight in an envelope with my name on it. For every holiday. I struggle. I must read 50 cards every time I go searching for one for him. Be it valentines, birthdays, whatever. There are never the right words. NEVER!

And this year was no different. Feeling like a failure I gave up the hunt this year. There is no card for my man, because no one can speak the love that is in my heart for him.

Hallmark doesn't make the my life sucked then you appeared card. Or the why do you find my attractive?? I don't get it, but I'm thankful for it card. Or how about the thanks for putting up with my mood swings, food cravings and emotional breakdowns card (that would be a hot seller, huh?)

As our peanuts began making cards for daddy it struck me. I can make a card, because I know the love I have for that man.

So I wrote. (that was the easy part) I spilled out my lil heart on the inside of a folded piece of card stock. With the final stroke of my name signed at the bottom I was pleased...there is our truth in this card. The love, the laughter, the silliness, the blessings and the Creator of our love.

I folded it shut. Happy. Content. Excited to give it to him.

But there on the table laid a plain piece of folded white card stock. Hardly a romantic card. Then the spark of creativity flashed in my brain. Grabbing glue, tissue paper and a pen I was off like a flash. Creative magic was happening right here in my kitchen.

When I was done it isn't exactly the beautiful masterpiece I had envisioned. Not so much...




And for a split second I was ready to toss it out. Ready to face my hubby with no card on the most romantic day of the year (okay, so it was a melodramatic split second). And then I opened it again.

There under that mass of sorta, kinda heart shaped tissue paper is our love. My heart calling to his. There would be no throwing it out.

I have spent years waiting for huge spiritual truths to come crashing into my life...like a heavenly meteor lined with the knowledge I need. I study and pray and wait for spiritual enlightenment in grown up ways. And where did it come from this week...fridge magnets and tissue paper. Ha, so simple I could have missed it.

Father, how blessed we are that You love us. That you teach us how to love. Thank you for the truth of who you are and what we've been given. Thank you using the simplest things to teach the biggest lessons.

No comments: