Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Where Do Your Headlines Point?

From my end table it beckons, "How to Get More Out of Life" the magazine cover shouts. And as though that's not enticing enough the sub-title not only promises more it wants to deliver everything - "Simple steps to good lovin', rock-solid confidence, the perfect outfit, more time for you, and everything else you really want".

I am happy to say I didn't buy the magazine (it was given to me in a stack from a friend), but as I sit next to it every day I've been sucked in. I leaf through the pages looking for the everything. Looking for the secrets of life, love, happiness and having it all. And while I've found great pointers on extending the life of your jeans, great Facebook profile pictures and skin care I have not found anything life altering.

Hmmm...but I know where there are such promises....

"steps to good lovin'" - For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

"rock solid confidence" - So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:6

"the perfect outfit" - ...for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. Galatians 3:27

"more time for you" - you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. (choose) what is better, and it will not be taken away... Luke 10:41, 42

"everything else you really want" - Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

God's truths don't need flashy headlines, empty promises or pictures of perfect people. Instead He plants His words inthe hearts of His children and sends them into the world to be "read" by others. Our lives are the subheads that point others hearts to the main attraction...where do the headlines of your life point?

6 comments:

Paula V said...

Great post. I love how you related God's promises through His Word with what this magazine is promising...inevitably to fail.

I have written in awhile...I need to be open to hearing Him through simple things such as you did with the magazine.

Runner Mom said...

I love God's Truths!! I'm with Paula--love how you used the magazine to share these scriptures to us!!
Love you!
Susan

Train Up a Child -- Encouragement for Moms said...

Awesome job. Loved the blog today. I love the way you think and the insight He provided you today.

Kristy

Kay Martin said...

Good insight today. I sometimes read the magazine covers while waiting in line at the grocery store. It is amusing how they all have the same themes. It becomes simple to see with all the monitoring computerization that they have bead on what the majority of us will buy into.

You put a great spin on this truth: God has the answer to all our challenges. We don't have to buy the magazine; we just need to go to our Source.

Well done, Kay

~Grace and Peace said...

That is so true! God gives us all we need. Nothing this world can offer will ever be sufficient. Thank you for the verses that correspond to the world's version.

LeeBird3 said...

This one needs to be submitted girlie...I'm emailing you the template Rachel sent me!